Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

A Straight Voice for Gay Rights

This blog is about my writing, so I was hesitant to even start this post until I remembered that one of the main criticisms against my novel is that I include LGBT characters. So this is about my personal views and how they are a part of my writing. I started writing this right after the fiasco in California over Prop 8, but I was too angry to be coherent. So this is attempt number two.



The recent ruling in California gutted me and I was quite livid that day. I do see the issue as one about civil rights and that people use their own personal and/or religious beliefs to take away the rights of others makes me sick to my stomach.

I am a Christian, but I am not a fundamentalist. My beliefs are personal to my life and how I conduct myself. My relationship with God is also very personal and precious to me. My faith is the core of my life.

The Constitution of the United States is the core of the American legal system. It gives us rights that people from other countries kill and die for. We are blessed to have such an amazing document granting and protecting our rights.

Therefore, I find it very hard to believe that a group of people want to disregard the Constitution and impose their personal belief system on other people. They want to restrict the rights of others not based on the Constitution, but on what they believe is true. The fact that they cannot see that this as dangerous and wrong, blows my mind. We live in a democracy, not a theocracy.

Frankly, the idea of the US as a theocracy scares me to death. Some people think it sounds great because they believe their religion would end up dictating the laws. But would they feel the same way if a religion they didn't agree with was the one in power?

Civil Rights and Marriage Equality is about the contractual aspect of marriage. It is about the law and rights granted by the law. It is not about religion or someones personal beliefs.

On a personal level, I do want to state that gay marriage won't affect my marriage to my husband. Our marriage is between us. It is both a legal and spiritual contract we entered into based on our commitment and love for each other. That people believe that somehow gay marriage will suddenly affect theirs, blows my mind.

I think that gay marriage has become a convenient distraction from the true issues affecting marriages and families today. Divorce, domestic violence, child abuse, alcoholism, and drug abuse affect families much more than the gay neighbors next door. But it is a lot easier for people to point fingers at others than address the issues in their own home.

Maybe this post is harsh. I don't know. I just know that people need to start taking care of their own families and lives and leave others alone. Let our Constitution be our guide to civil liberties, not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!