Friday, June 1, 2012
Movie Recommendation: Snow White and the Huntsman (Updated)
Also, I absolutely love Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. Up until recently, I was meh about Kristen Stewart, but mostly because of her portrayal of Bella Swan. The joke around our house is that she was constantly high in order to play the character correctly.
So last night I headed out to the midnight showing with my hubby and Kody Boye. My husband was dragged along, but Kody and I were dying to see the movie. Nearly two and a half hours later, we all three agreed the movie was quite good. I loved it. Kody declared it "Excellent."
Edited to Add:
Specific Things I Liked
1. Snow White is not a fragile little thing. She fights back as soon as she gets a chance and frees herself. She is a fighter. I loved that.
2. No obvious love triangle. Yes, there are emotional bonds formed and it is obvious that one of the lead characters loves the other to the audience at one point, but it comes across as the natural way people interact with one another.
3. The magic and supernatural elements. I loved how the fantastical elements of the story were played out. Not only are magical aspects of the story beautiful (or frightening), but they fit within the world.
4. The acting is good! I believed in all the characters.
5. The dwarves! I just loved them. Period.
6. The action! I loved all the action sequences.
All in all the movie is beautiful, well-acted, has a solid plot, and delivers on nearly every level. It's not a fantasy on par with The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it is definitely one of the better offerings in the fantasy genre in quite a long while.
Posted by Rhiannon Frater