Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Thoughts On the Election

I don't like to talk about politics. I really don't. Everyone in this country (and the world) has their own viewpoint and set of beliefs that dictates how they vote. I may or may not agree with them, but I do believe in their right to their own opinion. This is the country of Freedom of Speech.

I have family, friends, and fans in both political parties who are passionate about their point of view. Sometimes if I don't immediately agree with them or have an opposite viewpoint on a particular topic, I'm usually tagged as being on "the other side."

The reality is that I'm an independent voter. I vote for who best reflects my viewpoint when it comes to upholding the ideals of the Constitution and equality for all Americans.  In the past I have voted Republican  Libertarian, and Democrat in a variety of races, both national and local.  I also have a healthy dislike of the two party system (I think it creates the contention we've seen this year), I don't care for the electoral vote (I'd rather we go popular vote), and I really dislike the long length of the presidential election.

I am also a person of faith. I have a very strong belief in God that is the foundation of my life. I believe wholeheartedly in the teachings of Jesus, but not necessarily in those of any particular church. I also believe that everyone has a right to believe, or not believe, as they see fit. I believe my faith is personal and I don't strive to push my beliefs on anyone else.

I am also a woman and I care about the issues that affects us.  I believe in equality for all. I believe in fiscal and social responsibility. Also, as a freelancer I care a lot about taxes (OUCH!) and healthcare.

When I was growing up I was taught to respect the president whether I voted for him (and hopefully one day, her) or not. I was taught to pray that our nation's leaders be wise in their actions.  I was taught that at the end of the day we are all Americans, no matter our party affiliation. The downright hostility and anger I saw on the social media sites throughout the election process greatly saddened me and downright depressed me at times.

So how do I feel after the election?

I was VERY happy to see the asshats who talked about "legitimate rape" and that sort of nonsense lose their bids. I was happy to see equality taking root in four more States. I was also happy to see so many women (both Republican and Democrat) taking their place in Congress.  I was glad that Governor Romney was gracious in defeat (though McCain's concession speech was far superior 4 years ago).  I was impressed with President Obama's acceptance speech and felt it hit all the right notes to move our country forward. I pray that God will give him the wisdom to move us forward as a united nation after such a hostile election, and I would have done the same if Governor Romney had won.

And that's all I got to say...