Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

FAQ-How Do You Decide Which Book To Write Next?

I consider myself to be a horror author, but depending on which one of my books you read first, you may have me classified as a vampire novelist or zombie novelist. Though I am both of those things, I am a horror writer with a ton of ideas banging around in my head.  It can get very noisy in there.

I am often asked the following:

How do you decide which book to write next?

If I have a contract with a publisher for a book, it's a no-brainer that I'll be writing that book. I'll drop whatever I have in progress to concentrate on the book that is under deadline to make sure I turn it in to my editor in a timely manner.  When the revision letter arrives for that book, I will again drop whatever I'm currently writing and concentrate on the contracted book. This happens with the first pass pages and the copyedits when they arrive, too. That's why sometimes my indie books get delayed.

Okay, but you haven't finished my favorite trilogy/series yet, so write the next one!

At this time I have two trilogies and one ongoing series. All three have their third book in a holding pattern.  AS THE WORLD DIES UNTOLD TALES VOL 3 is partially written and needs some major revision. The last book in the PRETTY WHEN SHE DIES trilogy is banging around in my head ready to be born. THE LAMENT OF THE VAMPIRE BRIDE, the third in the Vampire Bride series is unfurling in my mind's eye, but needs a ton of research. Fans of all three book series are sending me messages constantly asking for the next book.

Gawd, I'm so relieved that AS THE WORLD DIES is wrapped up and put to bed, otherwise I'd be crazier than I am.

So with the third book (and final book in two cases) waiting to be written for three of my lines, I have to do some math to figure out which one I will write next.

Because when it comes down to the bottom line, it really is about money.

Though I will write all three books, the top-selling series is the one I need to concentrate on. I'm a full-time writer and I have bills to pay, books to publish, and a life to live.

The reason why it took so long for PRETTY WHEN SHE KILLS to be written is because the first book, PRETTY WHEN SHE DIES, didn't sell for years. It wasn't until late 2011 that the book suddenly found its audience. When the first book was only selling maybe 50 copies a year, it wasn't really worth my time to cut a chunk out of my writing time to write the sequel. When it jumped up significantly and suddenly sold around 400 copies in one month, I realized that it was time to start on PRETTY WHEN SHE KILLS.

So after studying the numbers (sales, units sold, etc), financially it is more lucrative for me to write AS THE WORLD DIES UNTOLD TALES VOLUME 3. So that will be my next book after I finish PRETTY WHEN THEY COLLIDE (the novella in the same universe as PRETTY WHEN SHE DIES).

But that's not the book I want...

I realize that. I do. But in the end I have to consider the business end of my writing.  The next book after ATWD UT Vol 3 will be PRETTY WHEN SHE DESTROYS because of my two vampire series, that is the more popular one right now.  THE LAMENT OF THE VAMPIRE BRIDE is a much more intensive book to write because of all the research I have to do. It sits third on my list.

Once all three of these books are out, I will once again look at my sales and determine which direction I should go for my next big project.

But I want you to write the next book in ___________series!

This is where fans have clout and don't realize it. If you love one of my series, spread the word!  I'm not the only one looking at sales figures. Tor looks at sales, too. The best way to keep a writer in the business of writing books is to buy their book, whether it is self-published or traditionally published. I constantly monitor my sales and see which series are doing well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!