Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2011--A Whole New World

I'm not going to lie. Though 2010 started off with a bang (book contract...woot!), the rest of the year was fraught with more lows than highs. It was definitely a year of facing reality, no matter how unkind it could be, and realizing that I had to make wiser decisions across the board. It was the year of "growing up" as a writer and as a person.

The hard knocks I endured this year were basically health or work related. I was pretty ill at the end of Spring, beginning of Summer, and I felt the aftereffects all the way into the Fall. Meanwhile, I had to do my day job and my night job (writing), while feeling like I was on the edge of collapse. I was going home and straight to bed for a good portion of the year. I'd wake up a few hours later, write a little (or do revisions) then fall back into bed. I grew tired of waking up in the morning feeling like I hadn't slept a wink. I grumbled a lot, but kept pushing myself out the door.

A few years ago, I had transferred to a new division in the company when my old division downsized dramatically. My old job had been one I felt passionate about, the new one was just a job. I didn't feel attached to it beyond the fact I was still with a company I enjoyed working for. But last year, I burned out on the job. The tediousness of it wore me down and though I liked all my co-workers and management, I felt no joy in the tasks I performed every day. I literally had to talk myself into going to work in the morning. Couple that with my health issues and you get the gist of how miserable I was.


By the beginning of Fall, I knew I had to make a serious change in how I was handling my health. When my brother called me in September to tell me how concerned he was about me, I was open to lecture. With his help, I got myself back on track by eating better and taking supplements. I finished the year finally feeling more like my "normal self" and 20 lbs lighter.

As 2011 dawned, I realized that I had to make some significant changes in my life. Though feeling better, I recognized I was still precariously close to burning out if things didn't change. Writing is vitally important to me. It is my dream. In the last year, I wasn't able to indulge in doing what I love most. The events of 2010 had pushed me precariously close to the breaking point and what finally gave way was my creativity, my writing, my passion...a huge piece of my own soul.

As of 1/11/11, writing is now at the forefront of my life. I am going to take a risk and try to make this writing thing into a full time gig. I might fail. I might succeed. I might end up taking on a job that isn't so brain consuming. I'm not sure yet. But I am going to give it my best shot. We'll see how it plans out.

So as of yesterday, I am a full time writer. At least...for now.

Wish me luck.

12 comments:

  1. Amazing!! Congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tony Thanks! I need all the luck I can get!

    @Anne Every once and awhile you just gotta go for it. :) I'm excited and hopeful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally believe in you if anyone can you can hugs and all the love zombie farmer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you all the best as you embark on this new leg of your journey.

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally Rhia. I'm so happy that you took the plunge. I have no doubt that you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! And you'll be in my prayers to realize your dreams!

    Love ya,
    flopo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though I'm sure it's kind of scary, you've got the talent and oh wait...already a book being published by TOR. I'm surprised you waited this long! You'll do fine Rhiannon, and you know you have the support of us, your fans. Now let's get some more zombie goodness, what do you say there Mrs. Full Time Writer? ;-)

    --Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to you!! I'm sure it's a big, scary step, but it will be the right one, no doubt. Can't wait to read the sequel to Vampire Bride ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, sounds like I'm in the same place as you last year. Maybe I will take that leap and quit my job.

    I love everything you write and hope you success in all future endeavors. You can always count on me buying anything you write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rhianna, I read your first "As the world dies" before it was pulled from Amazon. I really liked it. You are gifted. Keep writing, because the world needs good solid Zombie genre. You are gifted. I look forward to re-ordering the trilogy when you have them to your liking. Cheers & Keep your chin up

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the very best from a big fan here in Scotland. Billy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!